I just spent some time helping one of our Timebank members declutter her clothes closet–it was fun! If you haven’t discovered the joy of Timebanking yet, check it out. We are the first Transition Town to have a Timebank (another first for our little town). The core values of Timebanking are:
- We are all assets. Everyone has something to contribute
- Some work is beyond price: Work is redefined to value, honor, record, and reward whatever it takes to raise healthy children, build strong families, revitalize neighborhoods, make democracy work, advance social justice, and make the planet sustainable.
- Helping works better as a two-way street. The question, “How can I help you?”must be changed to ask, “How can we help each other build the world we both will live in?”
- We need each other. People helping each other reweave communities of support, strength, and trust. Community is built upon roots, trust, and networks of mutual respect and commitment.
- Respect demands accountability: The voices of all must be heard and heeded toward the aims of promoting social justice and compelling accountability.