The message from COP27 (United Nations Climate Change conference) is clear. It’s no longer climate change, it’s climate crisis. Our home is on fire. Each one of us needs to take action now. What stops you from making a contribution? Do you feel it’s up to someone else or that it’s too big of a problem?
What stops us
- Fear of what other people will think.
- Fear of making changes
- Not wanting to change your lifestyle
- Feeling helpless
- Thinking it’s hopeless
- Being too busy
- Being too focused on the present and ignoring the future
- It hasn’t affected you—yet
Waking up makes us aware of something much larger than ourselves. What makes change possible is the transformation of our consciousness and our relationship to ourselves, each other and Nature. These three can’t be separated—they must be dealt with as a whole. It’s three expressions of the same issue. We need to integrate these issues. And we need to change our thinking from ego systems to ecosystems.
Ready to take action?
- Identify what stops you from taking action.
- What interests and talents can you bring to help?
- Ask yourself an ongoing question—what can I do to help reverse climate crisis?
- Focus on what you want instead of what you don’t want or don’t like.
- Talk to your family, friends and neighbors. Invite 5-7 friends for a discussion. Allow each person to share what is going on with her, as the others listen deeply without interrupting.
- Join Transition Town Media
We’re more alike and more together than we think we are. There is a momentum going on—all we have to do is join it! The possibilities are endless today. People are waking up—especially younger people.
If you would like ideas on where to start, read Ending Business As Usual-Making Lifestyle Changes. For a global perspective, read Designs For A World That Works For All