On Sunday, April 21, I hosted a screening of 350.org’s documentary film, Do The Math. The film made it clear that we are out of time for just talking about climate change (not news to me, which is why I hosted the event). This film is not something we can just walk away from and forget. It requires immediate and sustained action from all of us.
The vast majority of people on the planet want to stop climate change. But do we have the will to prioritize a safe planet over cheap fossil fuels? Will we call on our leaders to face reality and favor clean energy over dirty oil, coal and gas supplies? Will we find the restraint and cooperation needed to leave assets worth trillions in the ground? We don’t have a choice any more. We have to act now.
We’re all in this together. What part will you play in this critical situation? What commitments are you willing to make? I’ve committed to the following:
- I use Terrapass to offset the gas I use in my car.
- All my electricity comes from solar.
- I’ve made many lifestyle changes. For suggestions on lifestyle changes that use less energy, go to Making Lifestyle Changes.
- I try to raise awareness by blogging about climate issues on Transition Town Media’s web site.
- I write to the President about climate change issues every week.
- I write to our Senators (Casey and Toomey) about climate change issues
- I support 350.org’s efforts in every way I can.
What are you willing to do? Whatever it is, do it now! Every species on Earth is counting on us.