The Media Farmers Market, in conjunction with Farm to City, is seeking a Market Manager.
Application: Please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and a cover letter with a brief statement of your interest.
The job is to manage the Media Farmers Market weekly Sundays. Hours will vary during the season, but this position will usually be 15 hours per week, including one 6 or 7 hour shift outdoors at the market on Sundays, and then additional hours at home for communication and promotion.
The Market Manager plays a vital role in the weekly operations of a farmers’ market. You will be the representative of Farm to City to different stakeholders: the Media Farmers Market Non-Profit (MFMP), the Media Borough, the producers who attend the market, the community partners, market volunteers, and the general public. We expect the manager to have professional, productive, and friendly relationships with all of these stakeholders.
Pay Rate: $18/hour.
- Sundays: 6-7 hours
- During the week: 8 hours
We are seeking a candidate who can make a weekly commitment to be at the market every Sunday, perhaps year-round. In the event that you request time off, it will be your responsibility to find a competent replacement to cover any shifts or responsibilities and provide Farm to City with substitute manager’s contact information.
- Ensure market is operating in a safe and efficient manner.
- Monitor producers and their products to ensure compliance with Market Rules and food safety guidelines for food display, sampling, and temperatures for potentially hazardous foods.
- Address shopper and vendor questions and concerns.
- Set up, break down, and manage an information tent, which will offer seasonal recipes and nutrition education materials.
- Occasionally assist producers by providing limited help with set-up and personal breaks.
- Collect market data, including email addresses of shoppers for weekly newsletter, seasonal updates to products, customer counts, periodic surveys, and other metrics to assess the growth of the market.
- Submit a weekly report to Farm to City about the market, its producers, and its customers.
- Manage market’s SNAP/food stamp program, including SNAP account banking and reconciliation.
- Update social media platforms; create a weekly electronic newsletter.
- Develop good relationships with producers, customers, and community.
- Work with Farm to City and MFMP to plan for market growth.
- Must have access to a computer to use in managing the market (you will not need to bring a computer to the market).
- Comfortable using Microsoft Office Suite, Constant Contact or MailChimp website, and Google docs, social media (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).
- Passion for local food systems, farms, small businesses, and the culinary arts.
- Management and customer service experience preferred, with an emphasis on conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work outside in different weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods at a time and lift heavy objects.
- People skills: assertive, friendly, firm, diplomatic, direct, fair and open-minded; works well within a team.
- Must be able to make decisions on the spot.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; organized and creative; good observation skills; can provide anecdotal data.
Farm to City is a Philadelphia-based business whose mission is to unite communities, families, and farmers year round through good locally grown food. Farm to City operates 13 farmers’ markets in Philadelphia and its suburbs.