FOR RESIDENTS LOCATED ON OR NEAR THE ROUTE
Media Open Streets is a day to relax and walk, bike, and play on some of Media’s residential streets (parts of Jackson, Third, and West) without worrying about car traffic. It will take place on Saturday, Sept 29, 2018 (rain date, Sunday, Sept 30), from 9 am to 1:30 pm. There will be informational tables, yoga, Zumba, and salsa dancing that you can participate in, plein-air art by the Media Arts Council, music performances, and a singing performance by the Media Theatre Summer Camp kids at 2pm to close out the day.
ROAD CLOSURES AND PARKING RESTRICTIONS
If your residence is on or near the streets indicated in the map below, you will be affected by road closures and parking restrictions on Sept 29 between 8 am and 2 pm. Specifically, Jackson St will be closed to traffic from the northern end at 252 to Third St; Third will be closed from Jackson St to West; and West will be closed from Third St down to Glen Providence Park (including a little bit of State St from West to the Park entrance). There will be no parking on the route, indicated by the green line on the map below, during the event. Please relocate your car by 8 am on Saturday, Sept 29th.
A No-Parking flyer will be distributed to all affected residents before the day of the event. Please read it carefully to be sure you are clear about the times and streets involved.
KEY POINTS YOU SHOULD KNOW FOR SEPT 29
- There will be no parking on the event route (Jackson between 252 and Third, Third between Jackson and West, West between Third and Glen Providence Park) from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm on Saturday, Sept 29, 2018. As a safety measure to protect the attendees, vehicles left on the event streets after 8 am will be towed.
- If you’re an early riser, plan to move your vehicle by 8 am. Otherwise, please move your vehicle on Friday night.
- You should not plan on being able to drive a vehicle across or onto the event route. We recommend that you park your vehicle on one of the cross streets on either side of the event route. If you must cross the event route that day in your car, there will be designated intersections at Third and Lemon for north-south traffic and at 5th and Jackson for east-west traffic. If you need to use one of these intersections, please wait until a volunteer marshal (we’ll have them at every intersection) tells you it’s safe to do so.
- For safest car travel during the event, we suggest you try to use Monroe St for north-south travel, and any street south of Third for east-west travel. If you are driving anywhere near the route, please use extra caution as there may be more people on foot near the event route.
- This is the first year for Media Open Streets! We’re planning a fun, family-friendly, healthy-lifestyle-promoting event. We hope you come out and enjoy it!