A Kinder, Gentler Local Business Investing Club
The Media Circle of Aunts & Uncles is a Transition Town Media project, modeled on the Philadelphia version started by Judy Wicks, to offer low-interest loans and social capital to under-resourced new and existing entrepreneurs in order to co-create a more equitable, compassionate, sustainable, and vibrant local economy in the Greater Media area, including the city of Chester.
We envision a prosperous local economy that supplies basic needs to the local population, works in harmony with our ecosystem, supports vibrant, joyful, and inclusive community life and has business ownership reflecting the demographics of our population. We aspire to:
- Strengthen regional self-reliance by supporting the production of basic needs locally, replacing imports with locally made products, manufacturing, and services.
- Support local business owners in historically marginalized communities and populations, which will create jobs and increase community wealth and vibrancy.
- Build a diverse, inclusive community of investors and locally owned businesses who experience the collective joy of working collaboratively toward a common vision for our region.
- Increase the regeneration and protection of our local environmental ecosystems, through repurposing waste materials and using ecologically sensitive manufacturing practices.
- Encourage socially and economically just business practices such as worker-owned cooperatives and triple-bottom-line businesses.
- Support existing businesses to become more environmentally and socially sustainable.
- Serve as an incubator for ecologically sustainable business concepts that fill a community’s needs and contributes to its resilience.
The Media Circle of Aunts & Uncles offers qualified local applicants with demonstrated need a new vehicle for accessing a low-interest loan fund seeded by local investors, as well as advice, business mentoring, and connections. The Circle intentionally creates trusting relationships between investors and borrowers, in the spirit of actual aunts and uncles, enabling investors to understand the true needs of the business and provide advice and contacts.
Interested in learning more?
Interested in contributing financially or in a mentoring capacity? Contact us at email@example.com! We’ll be happy to tell you everything you want to know. Or check out our overview document which gives our vision and purpose and all the nitty-gritty details, too.
If you’re ready to become an Aunt or Uncle, please read and fill out the Membership Agreement. Follow the instructions there for your next step.
Already an Aunt or Uncle and need to renew your annual membership? Please follow this link to fill out the renewal form.